Monday, November 4, 2013

Do Republicans Practice What They Preach?

“And the Lord will say unto them: For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink. I was a stranger and you invited me in. I was naked and you clothed me.  I was sick and you looked after me.   I was in prison and you came to visit me.”
“Then the righteous will reply: Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you?  When did we see you thirsty and give your something to drink?  When did we see you as a stranger and invite you in? When did we see you naked and clothe you?  When did we see you sick and care for you?  When did we visit you in prison?”
“And the Lord will say unto them:  Amen I say to you, whatever you did for the least of my brethren that you did unto me.”      
                                                                                                                              Matthew 25: 35-40

The Republican Party likes to portray itself as the party of “Christian family values.”  Many of its members have been known to proclaim that the constitution itself is based on these very same Christian values.  Setting aside for a moment the factual inaccuracy of the latter not to mention the insensitivity toward patriotic American Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and a host of other religious sects of the former; these self aggrandizing proclamations ring hollow when exposed to the light of current events.
We believe that this quote from Matthew’s gospel forms the very foundation of how we should act, not as a Christian, but as one human being to another; that we should treat others…even the most disenfranchised…as we would like to be treated. 
Since the Republican Party has branded these as “Christian values” and has presented itself as a pillar of these beliefs; let’s take a look at how they put their words into action.
When I was hungry you cut my food stamps.
When I was thirsty you polluted my water.
When I was a stranger you refused my marital rights.
When I was naked you shut down my government services.
When I was sick you refused me access to health care.
When I was in prison you gave me mandatory minimums.
It is one thing to proclaim ones’ “Christian beliefs.”
It far more difficult…and far more important…to practice what one preaches.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment